Mouse Control 101: Preventing And Getting Rid Of Mice In Tucson
April 15, 2023
While they may be cute as pets in 10-gallon terrariums or useful in a science lab, mice running around your home can cause big problems. Deer mice and house mice are the two types of mice typically found in homes here in Tucson, which is why you need Bee Bustin, a Tucson pest control company, to get rid of them for you.
This guide will teach you to recognize signs of mice in your home, the problems that mice can create on your property, tips for keeping mice away, and how to eliminate a mouse infestation.
Recognizing The Signs Of Mice In Your Home
There are multiple signs of mice in your house that you can easily recognize, including the following:
- Mouse droppings are small, about 1/4 of an inch long, with tapered ends. Mice can produce 50 to 100 droppings daily, so if you see any on your kitchen counter or along the floor near your walls, it’s a fair bet you have mice in your house.
- Gnaw marks will appear on your furniture, baseboards, floors, walls, door jambs, and cabinets. Mice have incisors that never stop growing; if mice didn’t constantly chew on things, their teeth would grow up to four inches in a single year.
- Nests are where mice spend the majority of their time. They want to be somewhere warm; you may find them in the insulation in your attic or basement or near your water heater.
- Damaged food may appear as chewed-up fruit in the bowl on your counter or torn-up cereal boxes in the pantry. Mice are partial to grains but eat anything they can find.
- Greasy smear marks along your baseboards signify that mice are moving through your house. Their hair is oily and leaves behind marks because they prefer to have one side up against something solid rather than wandering around in the open.
- A strong urine smell will become evident with a large enough mouse infestation. Mice use pheromones in their urine to communicate with each other.
- Seeing mice definitively confirms that you have a mouse problem. House mice are small, only 2 1/2 to 3 3/4 inches long, with hair-covered tails of similar length to their bodies. They have large, round ears and beady black eyes in their triangular face. They vary in color from light brown to gray, with lighter underbellies.
- Deer mice are about the same size as house mice, but their coats differ. Deer mice get their name from the deer their hair resembles, a mix of browns and grays with white bellies. You can easily identify them by their tails, which are half brown and half white.
If you see any of the above signs, contact Bee Bustin to help eliminate mice.
All The Issues Mice Can Cause On Your Property
Mice can wreak havoc both inside and outside your home. The first threat is the long list of illnesses they can transmit, either by themselves or through the ticks they bring into your home. These diseases include:
- Adult respiratory distress syndrome (ARDS)
- Lymphocytic choriomeningitis (LM)
From the ticks they can carry:
- Lyme disease
- B miyamotoi disease
- Powassan virus
- Heartland virus
- Bourbon virus
- Southern tick-associated rash illness (STARI)
- Rocky Mountain spotted fever
In addition to the parasites and pathogens they can bring into your home, mice can cause serious property damage through their constant gnawing. They can gnaw through your cable line, water and natural gas pipes, and electrical wires. That gnawing can lead to water damage, carbon monoxide poisoning, and serious fire hazards.
As you can see, it’s imperative that you get rid of mice in your home as quickly and efficiently as possible by partnering with Bee Bustin.
Expert Tips For Keeping Mice Away
Mouse control is simple, but it isn’t easy. You have to make your property unattractive to them first, then keep them out of your house. There are many ways you can go about this, including the following:
- Clean up your yard. Pick up any dropped fruit or nuts from trees, eliminate piles of brush or debris, and keep your grass cut short. Move stacks of firewood 20 feet away from your house and put them on racks that hold them at least six inches off the ground.
- Remove water sources. Take your pet’s bowls inside at night, get rid of your bird bath, and fix leaky faucets, irrigation systems, and sprinklers. Make sure your gutters are clear and your downspouts have extenders and splash stones to divert water away from your house to an area with good drainage.
- Use silicone caulk to seal any cracks and crevices in your foundation. Mice can fit through a hole the size of a dime and a gap as wide as a pencil. They have collapsible rib cages that allow them to fit through openings. If they can squeeze their head through a space, they can fit the rest of their body.
- Keep a clean kitchen. Put food in airtight containers or the refrigerator. Don’t let dishes or spills sit, tempting mice to come out of hiding. They’re in your house for food and shelter, so deny them access to the food they want.
- Partner with a pest control company like Bee Bustin.
While these tips may help some, the best way to get rid of mice is to contact Bee Bustin.
Call The Pros For The Most Effective Mouse Control
At Bee Bustin, we know how to get rid of mice and how to keep them out of your Tucson home. We offer treatments to get rid of the mice in your home and exclusion work to prevent more mice from moving in with you. Our mouse control services are comprehensive and effective. Contact Bee Bustin today for a free over-the-phone or digital quote.
Top notch service and response from Justin at Bee Bustin. There was a report of a hive on our back patio at center. Justin was quick to respond and took care of the situation. Justin even assisted some of our elderly patrons to their car. I highly recommend Bee Bustin for your next service.